If you do not see any lights inside hiku after plugging it into a charger and pressing the shiny button, hiku needs to be reset. See here for instructions.
The two most common setup issues are:
- Mis-typed password. Double check it. It's so easy to mis-type on a phone!
- Attempting setup on a 5Ghz Wi-Fi network. hiku does not support 5Ghz. The good news is almost all 5Ghz routers are what's called 'dual band' and support both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. So it's very likely that you have a 2.4Ghz network running already. You can check what networks are available by going to your main iPhone or Android phone Settings, and select Wi-Fi to view all available networks.
Using an Apple Airport for Wi-Fi? See this article for easy-peasy instructions to make sure 2.4Ghz is enabled.
Here are a few other things to check:
- When placing hiku on the screen of your phone during setup, make sure to place hiku with the lens facing down (the lens is the see-through 'window' on hiku).
- If you haven't already done so, please remove the protective film covering the hiku lens.
- Try closing the app and reopening it. Follow the links to see instructions on how to close an app for iPhone and Android.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi network does not require 'web authentication'. This is when you have to open a browser and type in a password like you do at some coffee shops. hiku does not support web authentication.
- hiku is designed for home use, so corporate networks that block port 31314 or use an 802.1x network will not work.
- Is your iPhone set to 'Invert Colors'? If so, please turn it off before attempting setup.
- Some screen protectors interfere with setup. Try removing yours and attempt setup again.
- On Samsung devices, you should also disable your Power Saving mode before you start the setup
- If you are using an iPhone or iPad for setup with iOS 10 or later, make sure you are using the latest hiku mobile app from the App Store, v3.5.1 or later. That version was released on December 18, 2016, so if you downloaded the app after that you are fine. You can check the version of the hiku mobile app by tapping the menu icon in the upper left (three lines) and then tapping on your email address.
If you are still having trouble please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and someone from our team will contact you quickly to get you up and going.
Keywords: setup, wifi, troubleshooting